Sew, What's Up

Sew What’s Up Presents

The Sew What’s New Archive

This archived content is from Mary Wilkins’ sewing and quilting message board “Sew What’s New,” which was retired in August 2007. It is being provided by “Sew What’s Up,” which serves as the new home for many members of “Sew What’s New.”
From: Mother in Law
Date: 06-24-2003, 11:22 PM (1 of 12)
:nc: Help!!!! Does anyone, and I bet a lot of you do, know how to get that pretty little pattern that looks like holes in the hem of a table napkin? I tryed using a wing needle but it didn't leave a large enough hole. Is there a special technique you have to use to get this effect? I made some pretty napkins with monograms on them and had to make a fancy stictch around the hem because I didn't know how to get the other effect. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance

User: Mother in Law
Member since:
Total posts:
From: Magot
Date: 06-25-2003, 03:04 AM (2 of 12)
I always thought that this was a handsewn technique using drawn thread work. A basic hemstitich being sewn along a border of threads pulled either from the warp or the weft of the fabric. This will ,of course, do you no good whatever Susie. Maybe somebody else has taught their machines to sit up and beg and they can help.:nah:
love and kisses, Jan
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order.
User: Magot
Member since: 12-22-2002
Total posts: 3626
From: dmoses
Date: 06-25-2003, 08:20 AM (3 of 12)
What kind of stitch did you use with your wing needle?
I think I read somewhere that to get the effect that you wanted, you would need to use a stitch that passes through the 'hole' more than once...maybe like an applique stitch. :nc: I'm just guessing. :bluesmile
Heirloom sew-ers would know. :smile:
Take care,
User: dmoses
Member since: 02-22-2002
Total posts: 964
From: Mother in Law
Date: 06-25-2003, 11:16 AM (4 of 12)
I used a stictch I though would pass through the hole several times but who knows maybe I didn't get a big enough wing needle. I experimented with several stitches but none did this. My machine does all sorts of good stuff I'm sure it has the stitch I just need to figure what technique to use it with. Thanks ladies.

I'll go back to the drawing board.

User: Mother in Law
Member since:
Total posts:
From: Llantrisant
Date: 06-25-2003, 12:32 PM (5 of 12)
If you have an embroidery machine, there is one stitch you could use,its a circle shape that you stitch into several times to make a hole. o like that shape,same effect that is on broider angles.Hope this helps you.:bg:
If at first you don't suceed, try-try again!
User: Llantrisant
Member since: 06-02-2002
Total posts: 144
From: Mother in Law
Date: 06-25-2003, 12:51 PM (6 of 12)

Tell me more about this stitch. Where do I find it? I have an embrodiery machine but it didn't come with that O design. Do you know the name of the technique I'm looking for maybe that will help me to understand more of how this is done. Thanks. I don't mean to sound dumb, but I am a little slow when it comes to catching on to things written instead of hands on.

Thanks Susie
User: Mother in Law
Member since:
Total posts:
From: Marion B
Date: 06-25-2003, 01:19 PM (7 of 12)

You should be able to get the effect you want with your wing needle. Sounds like you have plenty of fancy stitches to try. First of all, the fabric your are stitching makes a difference. Best to use one that has a looser weave, like batiste or handkerchief linen. Something of that light weight. If your fabric has a tight weave, as many cottons do, the holes will close up. I have also been told that the fabric should be cotton.

You should use a stablizer under the stitching (I like an iron-on pull away stablizer).

Also use thinner thread like 30 (the same weight we use in the bobbin for embroidery machines). If the thread is thick, it tends to fill up the little holes so you can't see them.

And yes, choose a stitch that goes in and out of the same hole a number of times. There are many pretty ones.

I'm sure if you play around with it, you'll be successful. Good luck!
User: Marion B
Member since: 08-15-2000
Total posts: 39
From: LeapFrog Libby
Date: 06-25-2003, 04:21 PM (8 of 12)
Its like Magot said. The original stitching work is called "hemstitching". Our Grandmothers would use it on all their better linens.. They marked the hem and then pulled threads on the crosswise grain and while hemming the item they would count a certain number of threads left (the straight grain threads) and wrap the thread around them as they were putting in the hem.. The hem had been folded to meet that exact line...My Grandmother usually caught 5 threads at a time... That is what makes the holes... Try doing a search on Google for 'machine hemstitching' and see if you can find directions for doing it on a machine with a wing needle.. My source told me one time it was possible, but she is not able to help me right now and I cannot pick her brain right now.. (ill health, and I don't know when or if she will be better) Martha Pullen's website might be a good place to look.. She does all that heirloom work...If anyone might have a machine method, I would suspect she might be the one.
Sew With Love
User: LeapFrog Libby
Member since: 05-01-2002
Total posts: 2022
From: jennifer007
Date: 06-25-2003, 11:50 PM (9 of 12)

Martha Pullen's magazine (Sew Beautiful) is a haven for that type of work! Most of the time, simple instructions for that type of work and other heirloom techniques can be found in there. I have about 2yrs worth of magazines, I will look and see if I can find some instructions for you.
User: jennifer007
Member since: 05-22-2003
Total posts: 29
From: Mother in Law
Date: 06-26-2003, 01:55 AM (10 of 12)
Jennifer, Libby and Marion,

Thank you so much. I have a few copies of Sew Beautiful Mag. here at my house. I will look in those and I will also do a search on google. You gals are tops when it comes to answering questions. This is the best place anyone could come for help for any sewing questions. I've seen these napkins already made and they are so beautiful and expensive. I just knew I could make them if I knew how. I will continue to prod around and if I find out how to do it I will post it here for all to know.

Thanks ladies for all your help.

:love: Susie
User: Mother in Law
Member since:
Total posts:
From: Aimee S
Date: 06-26-2003, 02:23 AM (11 of 12)
Okay see if I can get the spelling right. it is called hardanger embroidery. there are some that make it. you stitch in a square usally and then on goes in one hole while the rest goes around to open the hole with the wing needle.
The more you disaprove, the more fun I am having!
User: Aimee S
Member since: 02-23-2003
Total posts: 488
From: Aimee S
Date: 07-10-2003, 05:02 PM (12 of 12)
I knew I would find it.

Here is a book on this type of embroidery you are looking for.
The more you disaprove, the more fun I am having!
User: Aimee S
Member since: 02-23-2003
Total posts: 488
Sew, What's Up
Search the “Sew What’s New” Archive:
Visit Sew What’s Up for the latest sewing and quilting tips and discussions.
This page was originally located on Sew What’s New ( at