Sew, What's Up

Sew What’s Up Presents

The Sew What’s New Archive

This archived content is from Mary Wilkins’ sewing and quilting message board “Sew What’s New,” which was retired in August 2007. It is being provided by “Sew What’s Up,” which serves as the new home for many members of “Sew What’s New.”
From: gypsybliss
Date: 12-22-2005, 09:16 PM (1 of 4)
I thought I'd go straight to those who would know, instead of continueing to try and search for it on my own.
I'd like to start sewing neckties and although I've taken a few apart and have a pretty good idea of how they're made, I'm not at all sure of the hand stitching that is done on them. From what I've read, these stitches (the ones up the full length, on the back side of the necktie) are either called slip stitches, saddle stitches, or hidden stitches, unless I'm mistaken (which is very possible.) These are the ones that have me baffled. I've never seen stitches like these before and have know idea what they're called or how to sew them.
I'm sure there's alot I don't know about making neckties and I'd really like to keep the construction as traditional as possible. Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead a time! DEE
User: gypsybliss
Member since: 12-22-2005
Total posts: 1
From: paroper
Date: 12-23-2005, 08:39 AM (2 of 4)
The stitch that I use is hidden in the fold of the fabric. You just hide your knot behind the fold and then take a small stitch in the fold and then in the lower fabric back and forth all the way up the tie. It does not cross back on itself. It is a lot easier to show than to tell but it is not a difficult stitch to do and it is pretty basic looking. This was always called a slip stitch when I was in school eons ago.

Bernina 200e, Artista V5 Designer Plus, Explorations, Magic Box, Bernina 2000DE & 335 Bernette Serger, Bernina 1530 Sewing Machine, Bernina 1300 DC Overlock (with coverstitch)
User: paroper
Member since: 02-03-2004
Total posts: 3775
From: Magot
Date: 12-23-2005, 01:17 PM (3 of 4)
I always called that ladder stitch Pam - it is used a lot in sewing knits together where we call it mattress stitch. Sew a few stitches at a time (a bit like taking running stitches on alternate pieces of fabric) and then pull to close. It is also used also in toy making to sew on teddy bears arms.
I remember when being very drunk on Nitrous Oxide (post baby) and being stitched back up by the nice young Irish Intern with a pemanent blush - asking if he was using mattress stitch?
Poor young man didn't know where to look - I mean - what a job!
love and kisses, Jan
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order.
User: Magot
Member since: 12-22-2002
Total posts: 3626
From: DorothyL
Date: 12-23-2005, 01:34 PM (4 of 4)
Here they call it a husbands knot -- in you after the baby, not the stitch in the tie.
User: DorothyL
Member since: 12-09-2002
Total posts: 3883
Sew, What's Up
Search the “Sew What’s New” Archive:
Visit Sew What’s Up for the latest sewing and quilting tips and discussions.
This page was originally located on Sew What’s New ( at